Monday, September 15, 2008

Ike Evacuation, Part 1

Though Hurricane Ike caused some major damage to the Houston area and my neighborhood, one of the silver linings of Ike's storm clouds is that the wife and I spent another weekend in Dallas with some great home-cooking from our families.

We had dinner at my mother-in-law's the first night back and here's what she made:

Mama Minh's Chicken Strips
My mother-in-law felt adventurous this day and experimented with chicken tenders. She created her own batter and served it with a traditional Vietnamese dipping sauce. The combination worked great and I ended up eating much more than I should have.

Mama Minh's Tofu Soup
This tofu soup is a traditional Vietnamese soup. Though this dish and some rice is typically all a person would need for a meal, my mother-in-law must have decided that, since we were evacuees, we must also be suffering from famine because she also served the following:

Meal @ Mama Minh's
She served some stewed catfish and steamed chicken. As you can see, hunger is four-letter word in my mother-in-law's home. Of course I'm not complaining, rather merely stating a wonderful fact.

No comments: